This monumental triptych originally intended for the main altar of the church but since 1653 in the choir area is an absolute masterpiece because of the high quality and great artistic value. It is not signed or dated, but is attributed on stylistic grounds to the Master of Frankfurt or an artist from his immediate surroundings who is called the 'Master of Watervliet' after this painting. The Master of Frankfurt had a flourishing Antwerp studio. He got his socalled emergency name because he made two important works for Frankfurt's clients. The man at the far right may be a selfportrait. It shows similarities with portraits in other works attributed to the Master of Frankfurt which seems to confirm this attribution.